Reports to Chief Medical Officer and works directly with the Directors of the following CIDRZ programs: HIV, TB, Pediatrics, Implementation Science, Strategic Information, Maternal & Child Health. The ACHIEVE Chief of Party (COP) will oversee the clinical and interventional aspects of the PEPFAR/CDC Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia CIDRZ Care and Treatment grant (ACHIEVE award). The incumbent will oversee the planning, implementation, reporting, monitoring, and quality improvement of all core activities of the care and treatment co-operative agreement. This position will work closely with Ministry of Health Provincial and District Public Health Specialists and counterparts at CDC/Zambia and PEPFAR implementing partners. The incumbent will spend considerable time in the field (at health facilities) overseeing implementation of activities at CIDRZ supported health facilities and identifying areas for program improvement and innovation.
• Provides oversight and supports the various CIDRZ directors, provide technical assistance for the C&T grant at the point of service delivery (in health facilities) alongside ACHIEVE program staff and MOH providers with particular focus on innovative strategies to improve quality of care and achieve program goals (including but not limited to: identifying HIV+ clients, successful linkage to ART, patient retention and achieving viral suppression in more than 95% of clients).
• Provides support to C&T grant activities including communications with PEPFAR/CDC in regard to work plans, budgets, and reporting, and ensuring that program activities are carried out as outlined in the grant and in accordance with donor and CIDRZ policies
• Provides technical assistance in the field to ensure support and capacity building of team leads and MOH clinical mentors and healthcare providers
• Oversees and assists program leads in developing and writing reports (monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports or other ad hoc reports as requested by donor and/or PI).
• Alongside the Strategic Information Director, assists program leads in data monitoring, analysis, and development of response plans based on results
• S/he will leverage internal and external technical assistance and academic expertise to ensure programmes are innovative, efficient and effective.
• Effectively represent CIDRZ at MOH and partner fora through active participation in meetings and relevant national technical working groups.
• Maintains effective liaison with CIDRZ Leadership, US government partners, and relevant technical units within the Zambian Ministry of Health to determine programmatic priorities and implementation strategies.
• Supports capacity building, technical assistance and program transition with relevant Provincial and District Health Offices
• Oversees the management of core resources and budgets.
• Works towards long-term financial sustainability of the program and field activities
• Works with program managers and Finance Dept. to monitor funding utilization and authorize various program related financial transactions
• Participates in CIDRZ strategic planning process.
• Works with ACHIEVE principal investigator, CDC technical leads, Directors of Implementation Science and Strategic Information, and others to support the surveillance, research and evaluation activities.
• Communicates progress of program performance assessments and disseminate results to various stakeholders at meetings, local and international scientific conferences and peer reviewed journals.
• MBChB, MD, or equivalent medical degree from an accredited medical school
• Post-graduate clinical training required
• Masters’ in Public Health or equivalent
• Registered with the Health Professions Council of Zambia
• Demonstrated understanding of the principles of public healthcare and HIV epidemic control efforts
• Demonstrated experience in health systems programming, HIV prevention, treatment, and care programming, and/or health systems research
• Minimum 5 years of relevant clinical experience
• Prior research experience, implementation science research experience or program effectiveness evaluations preferred
• Experience in budget development and financial management and working effectively with diverse teams
• Proven team leadership skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Outstanding critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently
• High level of initiative
• Passionate about clinical care, HIV service delivery, and quality improvement
• Previous managerial experience or strong interest in managing, directing and leading teams required
Closing date for receiving applications is 27th June 2019
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply; however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please send application letter quoting Reference Number above, relevant academic and professional certificates, and detailed CV with day-time telephone number(s) to:
CIDRZ Human Resources Director P. O. Box 34681, LUSAKA, ZAMBIA or email: email@example.com