CIDRZ is an independent, local, non-governmental health organisation established in Zambia in 2001. Our experts utilise innovative and collaborative approaches to develop research, health services and training initiatives with measurable results in public health. In the context of CIDRZ’s vision to improve health outcomes in Zambia, health systems strengthening refers to a range of activities and initiatives designed to improve the underlying health system or manage interactions between components of the system in ways that help ensure more equitable and sustainable health services and health outcomes. In addition to addressing health system issues, CIDRZ has a strong commitment to answering key research questions relevant to Zambia and the region. We achieve this mission by conducting high quality clinical trials and implementation science.
TERMS OF REFERENCE: Senior Data Manager
The position of Senior Data Manager is key to ensuring that a strong and creative team is in place to manage and implement research/programmes to fulfill this mandate. This grade C8 position reports to the Chief Scientific Officer and manages CIDRZ databases for programmatic reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and clinical research and involves close collaboration with the ICT Director, Chief Scientific Officer, and service and research Programme Heads. He/she will create, refine, implement and oversee standard operating procedures for comprehensive data management.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work closely with ICT department to ensure that all data management software and hardware needs are met and maintained.
- Interact with project Principal Investigators and programme Heads to ensure that all data management needs are understood and met.
- Take the lead in reviewing the current and future data management needs of the institution and implement required systems to handle those needs.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to data managers and other unit staff on systems and technical skills and training.
- Have administrative and managerial responsibility in terms of planning, day-to-day operations and forecasting of unit needs.
- Ensure that each project is making due progress according to agreed data management plans and that the data can be extracted for needed analyses in a timely manner.
- Lead establishment, review and upgrading of data management unit Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensure that the existing data systems are functioning optimally at all times
- Promote team building and work collegially as part of all studies and programme teams from the data angle
- Actively participate in exploring new avenues to keep CIDRZ up to date with current global trends in data management practices.
- Provide support to new studies and programmes in formulating their data management plans and budgetary requirements
- Provide oversight and supervision to staff in data management
- Address issues of data access and maintain various levels of permissions to staff accessing data
- Be responsible for the safe storage and archival of all CIDRZ electronic data
- Ongoing strategic planning to build data systems that meet diverse program needs, including reporting, quality improvement and research
- Other data management related duties as may be assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics or Computer related subject; Bachelor of Science in CS/Informatics/Data related field OR Master of Science in CS/Informatics/Data related field OR more than 5 years’ experience managing large databases, preferably in the health field
- Must be highly proficient in SAS or STATA programming, ideally with some proficiency in both
- Highly proficient in SQL, VBA and other database software such as Access
- Relevant experience in data management OR with at least 3 years’ work experience at senior data management level
- Proven team leadership skills in diverse settings
- Experience designing data systems and working knowledge of data analysis
Excellent written and oral communication skills, with demonstrable experience writing grants and progress reports
- Strong computer skills
- Demonstrable exposure to data processing/analysis
- Experience in real world database design both for research enterprises as well as for clinical use
If interested, please send cover letter and current CV including reachable references to Chief Scientific Officer, Dr Roma Chilengi via Roma.Chilengi@cidrz.org or Chief Executive Officer, Dr Charles Holmes via Charles.Holmes@cidrz.org